Home of the Blue Mango

One stop for insanity.
"If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a water gun and squirt people in the eyes with it."
- This deep thought brought to you from Nina's subconscious.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Batman Begins...

Well, this post is essentially, a movie review....or rather, me gushing shamelessly, you be the judge. Either way, if you're not a Batman fan, a movie fan, or...are (EEP!) terrified of spoilers, then kindly back away from the monitor, I spare no detail. And I roll my eyes as I write this for all the 3 people that actually read this blog..
Anyway...
It's time for me get down and get nerdy...my favorite superhero... is finally back on the big screen after an 8 year hiatus. For all those who can rememberthe festering turd that was Batman and Robin (everyone please take a moment to make the sign of the cross and flip off Joel Schumacher, the no-talent hack director that buried this franchise under 130 minutes of unspeakably bad dialogue, acting, and well....everything).
But, let me be the first to say, that although Batman and Robin set the standards so incredibly low, this movie surpassed my wildest dreams. I do have a bit of a soft spot for the first two Batman movies directed by Tim Burton because they have a very dark, operatic, classic feel to it and really, the casting wasn't bad at all. I suppose in retrospect, Jack Nicholson was a little too pudgy and goofy a choice for Joker, but hell....he put in a damn good effort. I'm STILL quoting his "I'm relieving you, the little people, the burden of your failed and useless lives!" to this day, so not shabby at all. Ahem, as for the dark night, I'm one of the few that admired Michael Keaton's mysterious, slightly absent-minded portrayal of Bruce Wayne. Okay, so it was a little weird that he was shorter by almost half a foot than his love interests in both movies, and sure, no one can repress a chuckle at the fight scenes. But stylistically, the first two Batman movies are masterpieces, sets are beautiful, and music flawless.

Ahem, the next two Batman movies: crap...total and utter crap. NEXT!

...and then we go to 2005's Batman Begins directed by Christopher Nolan. If it isn't already terribly obvious, I loved this movie.... and not just because I'm a die-hard Batman fan. No, its more than that people...this movie did everything right. It wasn't just a fresh look on the Dark Knight...it was redemption. Christian Bale is nothing short of amazing in this; sarcastic, vengeful, mysterious as the scenes would call for it, dealing with the internal struggle of his dark persona with his public playboy image. :
Bruce Wayne
Bruce Wayne
...

and Batman:

Batman


yeah, i know...hotness. Anyway, his love interest, sadly...is none other than WB-spew Katie freaking Holmes. No comment there, I'm only thankful that (with the notable exception of Superman), superhero movies use a revolving-door policy when it comes to female love interest. The director limited her lines to the usual "help", "ooh i'm angry about crime, oh, let Batman do the dirty work!", blah blah blah. Nothing memorable here folks.

Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow was awesome, as were all the supporting characters (all new: Commisioner Gordon, Alfred, etc etc.). The only one who...frankly pissed me off was Liam Neeson, cast as the arch villain Ra's Al Ghul. First of all, not to get caught up in ethnicities ....but this guy is supposed to be Middle Eastern, very nearly invincible, and intimidating. Cough. Is there ANYONE on the freaking planet that could for one second believe that the 6 foot tower of menace that is Batman would lose a fight to THIS guy???!!!

...Old Guy who we're supposed to believe is a match for Batman
Old Guy We're Supposed to Believe Can Kick Batman's Ass


Anyway, all in all....a great great movie. But despite its vast superiority, I doubt it'll make as much money as prior films within the series. Why? 1) Annoying WASP moms will find the material too "dark" for their 6 year old.... to which I say, "lady, you want campy shit? rent barney. Leave batman the hell alone. Hasn't he been bastardized enough by Joel Schumacher?" 2) People are too scarred by Batman and Robin to give this movie a fair shot. Screw them though, I'm too busy chanting "SEQUEL! SEQUEL!".

I'm going to end this geeky post with more geekiness: posting my favorite line from the movie...

"I won't kill you...but I don't have to save you."
-- Batman Begins

Well, what the hell are you guys waiting for? Go see it. I command you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home